As students progress and build their mathematical understanding, flexibility and accuracy with fractions are key elements for determining student success. Grades 3-5 teachers need to support all children in building their understanding of a fraction as a single number and conceptualize fractions as part of the number system. In this offering, you will discover the mathematical concepts underlying fractions, how to tackle common misconceptions, and how to make timely instructional adjustments based on student understanding. *Note: This workshop consists of 2 (two) 3-hour sessions.
– Explain the idea of a fraction as partitioning or iterating using the number line.
– Understand how to teach concepts of fractions in a manner that promotes relational understanding for students.
– Understand how to use the number line to reinforce a fraction as a single number.
– Visualize fraction quantities in a variety of ways.
– Use formative instructional strategies to make timely adjustments to support student success.
– Develop a cursory understanding of the five practices as a framework for mathematical discourse.