Grades K–8: Engaging Students: Eliciting Evidence of Students’ Math Understanding
Professional Learning Workshop
Advance your pedagogical content knowledge by cultivating your math questioning skills.
Empower students’ math thinking and knowledge
Discover Formative Conversation Starters, a progressive question-and-answer strategy to elicit evidence of students’ ways of thinking about math concepts, with the purpose of informing instruction. Explore math concepts in depth to support classroom discourse.
Explore a key question during each segment of learning
How can awareness of math identities support equitable instructional practices?
- Analyze students’ and teachers’ experiences learning math.
How can students develop a meaningful understanding of big math ideas?
- Investigate math concepts and solve problems with peers while connecting to best practices.
How can purposeful questioning reveal students’ ways of thinking?
- Identify math themes, patterns, and ideas in students’ responses to questions.
How do I successfully implement Formative Conversation Starters?
- Plan how to use questioning strategies in your own classroom.
Why is conceptual understanding an essential aspect of equitable instruction?
- Reflect on how a teacher’s math experiences impact student learning.
How do I use Formative Conversation Starters to inform instruction?
- Use conversation to identify themes in student thinking to plan for future instruction.
How can I engage students in a lesson that leverages Formative Conversation Starters data?
- Examine ways of thinking to solve problems and use research-based practices to promote classroom dialogue.
How do the five practices help conduct a math conversation?
- Build awareness of how the five practices are used to promote effective discourse.
Designed with you in mind
This offering is divided into two 3-hour parts. It is recommended that the parts be completed in order, within a reasonable time frame. Your NWEA representative will help determine the best on-site or virtual delivery option to meet your needs.
Face-to-face session with a consultant
Live instruction through our online portal
Ready to learn more? Our team is here to help.