Early Assessments for Reading and Math
MAP® for Primary Grades are diagnostic and computerized adaptive assessments in reading and mathematics, specifically tailored to the needs of early learners.
MAP for Primary Grades
Looking for information on Fall 2011 MPG scoring? Click here »
MAP for Primary Grades assessments combine diagnostic tests and survey assessments to give you insight into your K-2 students' knowledge of core math and reading. Using these tests, teachers can:
- Assess achievement levels of early learners so they can spend more time teaching and less time administering individual diagnostic tests.
- Provide rich information to begin guiding a student's academic career thereby increasing the chances for early academic success.
- Identify the needs of all primary students and inform individualized instruction.
- Encourage student participation with engaging test items.
The system includes:
- Early Literacy and Numeracy, which provide a quick reference for gauging student readiness for reading and mathematics instruction.
- Skills Checklists, which provide teachers with a way to continually assess student's achievement relative to the skills of phonological awareness, phonics, number sense, and computation.
- Survey with Goals in Reading and Mathematics, which produce immediate overall scores, as well as scores within each goal area.
MAP for Primary Grades tests are designed with young students in mind. For example, audio instructions allow non-readers to understand the test items, and a simplified interface lets students simply click a mouse to perform actions.
The different components include:
- Measure the foundational skills of letter and number understanding.
- Include a reading test that covers letter recognition, sounds, and concepts of print.
- Include a mathematics test that covers concepts of numbers.
- Allow the teacher to select specific Skills Checklist tests based on the desired content focus and sequence.
- Include reading tests, which cover phonological awareness, phonics and upper and lower case letter recognition.
- Include mathematics tests, which cover number sense and computation.
Survey with Goals Tests
- Provide both an overall RIT score and goal score ranges to aid in the identification of a student's instructional levels.
- Measure academic growth as early as pre-kindergarten.
- Include reading tests, which cover phonological awareness, phonics, concepts of print and vocabulary, word structure, comprehension, and writing.
- Include mathematics tests, which cover problem solving, number sense, computation, measurement and geometry, statistics, probability, and algebra.